RDMP and the Data Archive
This page contains the following elements:
- Completing a Research Data Management Plan (RDMP) to obtain storage space in the UNSW Data Archive
- Storage space allocation
- Help and further information
Completing a RDMP or a Get post-project storage form to receive access to the UNSW Data Archive
The UNSW Data Archive is integrated with the Research Data Management Plan (RDMP) segment of the ResData service – you apply for your storage allocation and manage Data Archive access within the Data Management area of ResData. There are three possible options to obtain data storage within ResData:
- Plan project: if you are starting, or in the middle of, your research, this is the option for you. To apply for data storage in the Data Archive select “Yes” to the question “Is data storage allocation required?” under the Data Storage section (the last page) of the plan.
- Plan HDR project: if you are a HDR candidate, this is the option for you. To apply for data storage in the Data Archive select “Yes” to the question “Is data storage allocation required?” under the Data Storage section (the last page) of the plan. Note: your Supervisor will be automatically granted Reader level access to your Shared folder in the Data Archive.
- Get post-project storage: if you have completed a research project, for which a RDMP was not required, and you wish to store your research data in the Data Archive, this is the option for you. Complete all required fields (Project title, Project affiliation, Project personnel (LCI is mandatory), Retention period), Submit the form and, once approved, you will receive storage allocation in the Data Archive.
Note: Before you can access the UNSW Data Archive you must have received approval (via email) from a submitted RDMP or Get post-project storage form. For further information see Space allocation (Collections) in the Data Archive below.
Follow the link for a completed sample RDMP (Engineering).
Note: the RDMP is a living document, it can be updated at any time and research team members may be added or removed by editing/updating the RDMP (for more information see the How can I share my data with other researchers? FAQ).
For storage space to be allocated in the Data Archive for a research project the RDMP form must contain the following two elements:
- Selection of the Data Archive for storage of your research data
- Identification of the project Lead Chief Investigator (LCI). Note: research team members who have access to project data may also be added at this time.
Selecting the Data Archive to store your research data:
Select UNSW Data Archive as your Preferred storage under the question 'Is storage in the UNSW Data Archive required?' (in the Data Storage section of the RDMP) to obtain storage space in the Data Archive.
Research team member identification:
You’ll be asked to include a list of authorised users (under the Project Personnel area, in the Project Governance section of the RDMP).
- Assign specific permissions to each team member at this time:
- Lead Chief Investigator (LCI): Primary researcher or person responsible for the project. A LCI has read/write access to the Data Archive - able to upload, download and create Sub Collections (folders). Able to update (i.e. change role), add, and remove, team members in ResData
- Research Project Manager (RPM): Nominated by the LCI to manage or administer the project. A RPM has read/write access to the Data Archive - able to upload, download and create Sub Collections (folders). Able to update (i.e. change role), add, and remove, team members in ResData
- Contributor: Researcher who contributes to a project. A Contributor has read/write access to the Data Archive - able to upload and download but unable to create Sub Collections (folders).
- Reader: Researchers or administrators with read-only access to the Data Archive - able to download only.
- Roles and access inside the Data Archive:
Space allocation (Collections) in the Data Archive
- you will receive an email confirmation of Data Archive allocation once your RDMP has been approved - usually within 48 hours. If you do not receive notification, please contact your local IT support or the UNSW IT Service Centre (9385 1333).
- the name/label of your space allocation, your Collections (folder) in the Data Archive, will correspond with the ResData Project ID (e.g. D23423776 or H23423776)
Note: HDR candidates will see two folders (Private and Shared) under their top level folder, labelled with their ResData Project ID, inside the Data Archive. For more information see the Who has access to my Private and Shared folders (HDR candidates)? FAQ.
Help and further information:
- For help and support when using the Data Archive, see
- all Help Topics
- all Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- browse through the carousel on the homepage to view all available videos
- For information on the types of data to add to the Data Archive, see Preparing data for upload
- For more information on the access levels in the Data archive, see Roles and access inside the Data Archive
- For information on finding data in the Data Archive, see Search, filters, view and favourites
- For information on metadata (descriptive data) automatically and manually added to your research data, see the Metadata guide
- For information on using the Data Archive Web application, see the Web application guide
- For information on submitting a RDMP, see Research Data Management at UNSW
- To create, or update, a Research Data Management Plan (RDMP) go to the ResData service
- For information on data management at UNSW, see the Research Data Management Toolkit
- To access the Data Archive Web application, use this link, or, go to the Home page for other access options
- Note: the Data Archive service is also available over SFTP, see the SFTP client guide for more information